Emmanuel Church was designed by Henry Clutton and built in 1861. It was dedicated in 1862.
Built on land provided by the owners of nearby Kinnersley and Hartswood Manors, it provided a place of worship for the local community and in particular for employees of local landowners, especially those who lived and worked at Kinnersley and Hartswood Manors. The benefactors also provided a Rectory nearby.
The church consists of a nave, chancel, north east vestry (former organ chamber), a tower sited at the north east of the nave and a south porch.
After the war, restoration and improvements were made. In 1962 the organ was moved from the Chancel Vestry to a newly constructed gallery at the west end. The church roof was also retiled.
In 1980, the parish became a plurality with St. Nicholas', Charlwood.
The Rectory was sold and further improvements were made to the church. The west end of the nave was converted to provide a choir vestry on the ground floor with sliding doors separating it from the nave.
An accessible toilet and, at first floor level, a meeting room with kitchen facilities (known as the Upper Room) were constructed, all necessitating the extension of the organ gallery to its present position..