Sidlow Bridge, Reigate
Emmanuel Church was designed by Henry Clutton and built in 1861. It was dedicated in 1862.
Built on land provided by the owners of nearby Kinnersley and Hartswood Manors, it provided a place of worship for the local community and in particular for employees of local landowners, especially those who lived and worked at Kinnersley and Hartswood Manors. The benefactors also provided a Rectory nearby.
The church consists of a nave, chancel, north east vestry (former organ chamber), a tower sited at the north east of the nave and a south porch.
After the war, restoration and improvements were made. In 1962 the organ was moved from the Chancel Vestry to a newly constructed gallery at the west end. The church roof was also retiled.
In 1980, the parish became a plurality with St. Nicholas', Charlwood.
The Rectory was sold and further improvements were made to the church. The west end of the nave was converted to provide a choir vestry on the ground floor with sliding doors separating it from the nave.
An accessible toilet and, at first floor level, a meeting room with kitchen facilities (known as the Upper Room) were constructed, all necessitating the extension of the organ gallery to its present position.
Rev William Lees
Rev Aston L Whitlock
Rev Walter Alwyn
Rev Alex H Shergold
Rev Charles W Wall
Rev David G N Clark
Rev William G Campen
Rev Sue Weakley
The windows are particularly fine and many of them were designed by the eminent Victorian artist Henry Holiday.
Like many churches in the land, the church suffered war damage during the 1939-
Installed in 1862, the organ is a fine example of the early work of J W Walker. It was enlarged in 1910 to its current size of 2 manuals and pedals with 8 speaking stops and associated couplers. The action is a tracker throughout.
The organ has recently undergone full restoration. For more information click here.
The original Font is sited in the Churchyard and used for floral displays. The font now in use in the church was retrieved from the derelict Chapel of St. Mary and the Angels, Duxhurst.
The brass plaque on the wall behind the Font is a memorial to Lady Henry Somerset of Reigate Priory, in recognition of her pioneering work at the Duxhurst Settlement from the late 1890’s until her death in 1921. A few vestments and ornaments from the Duxhurst Chapel were also given to Emmanuel Church for safe keeping.
There is a very fine Lych Gate commemorating the fallen of the 1939-